From Thomas E Deweese <thomas.dewe...@kodak.com>
Date Fri, 03 Jan 2003 12:49:10 GMT

CE> does anybody know when Batik 2.0 will be released ?

    No...

CE> I still have many problems concerning dynamic update and I make
CE> use of animate/animateColor.

    I think we would be curious to know about the problems with
dynamic updates.  Obviously, we know about the lack of SMIL support.

CE> evenhandling.  I have information stored in the <use> tag and want
CE> to access it on mouseClicks.  But of course I only get the
CE> elements that are part of the <symbol> ...

    Since the use code was written it has become clear that our
implementation is wrong.  The target in the event should not be the
elements in the symbol they should be SVGElementInstance objects which
are proxies for the symbol elements and if the parent chain is
followed would eventually have the use element as a parent.

    I don't think we have definate plans to fix this in the near
future.

CE> The symbols might be very complex, will be used several times and
CE> I need to keep the svg-file as small as possible. Maybe there is
CE> allready an option in batik to replace the <use> element by a <g>
CE> element (for example) containing all elements that are defined for
CE> the <symbol>, after loading the svg ?!

    The correct answer is to fix Batik so it uses
SVGElementInstance's.  I don't think this is a huge task but it
probably isn't trivial either...