From Thomas E Deweese <thomas.dewe...@kodak.com>
Subject RE: how to get global coordinates for local elements?
Date Thu, 09 Jan 2003 12:55:07 GMT

CK> Hello, how can I get the "global" coordinates for an "local"
CK> element?

CK> e.g. I have an element somewhere in a <defs> block and this
CK> element is (not directly) referenced by a <use> tag:

    [...]

CK> How do I get the coordinates for the circle element for example2
CK> to have the circle at the same position like in example1?

CK> I tried to build the GVTTree an get the GraphicsNode (to get the
CK> transform from) for the element but
CK> BridgeContext.getGraphicsNode(element) always returns null.

CK> Any hints?

    The problem is that the element referenced by the Use element may
be referenced multiple times (you could have 10 use elements
referencing it).  So, the simple getGraphicsNode(element) call can't
work.  Unfortunately I think you are in for a lot of work to get this
information but it's there somewhere :).  I could suggest places that
you might start 'hacking code' but I don't think this is really
supported by Batik right now (we don't support modifications to
content referenced by a 'use').