From Stefán Freyr Stefánsson <stef...@althingi.is>
Subject Question about SVG and Batik usage - voting system
Date Fri, 10 Jan 2003 09:35:08 GMT
Hello.

I know that this mailing list should be used for questions regarding the Batik
software itself and general SVG questions should go to some W3C mailing list
as stated on the Batik web page.  However, the mailing list address given on
the Batik web page that is supposed to subscribe to the W3C SVG mailing list
seems to be broken.  I did eventually find a mailing list that is supposedly
about SVG at the W3C but so far I've seen no signs of life on that list so I
hope that you forgive me for asking this question here.

The problem that I'm facing is that I need to create an application that can
show a descriptive overview image of a meeting room (it's actually the
chamber of the Icelandic parliament).  This application will be hooked up to
a voting system and needs to be able to display accurately the status of
votes in the chamber.  For that it needs to display an image of the floor and
each seat is represented by a color that indicates how the person that sits
there voted.  Now, the tricky part about this is that this floor plan needs
to be dynamic...  the number of members of parliament can change (the number
and layout of chairs would therefore change too) so there needs to be a way
of defining the floor plan without having to build the whole system again.

So my question is: Would SVG be a good candidate to solve my problem?  Does
anybody have other ideas about what technique could be used for this?

My dream is to have the floor plan in an XML document that describes the
layout/location of the seats and maybe even more information such as the
locations of walls to give a better impression of the room itself.  An
example of the XML document defining the floor plan might be something like:
<floorplan>
    <chair id="1">
        <location>...</location>
    </char>
    <chair id="2">
        <location>...</location>
    </char>
    <wall>
    </wall>
</floor>

I know that this doesn't conform to the SVG document type (and no... this idea
hasn't been fully sculpted even) but I'm just describing what I'm thinking...
I will then adopt this idea to the SVG documents if SVG is indeed a viable
option to solve this problem.

Optimally there would be just one document describing the layout of the room,
the system would therefore be able to draw up the floor plan by using that
document.  The voting system would also read this document and parse out the
location of all the "chair" elements and it would read the status of each
vote for each of the chairs from the voting system.  It could then create a
"layer" where, for example, a chair that votes "yes" is displayed as a green
area and a vote of "no" is displayed as red and "pass" is displayed as
yellow.  There would also have to be other layers for each seat such as
displaying the name of the person sitting in the seat, what party that person
is associated with and so on.

If anybody could give me some pointers on whether SVG would be usable for this
situation I'd be very grateful.  I want to stress that I'm not a lazy bum
trying to get the solution to my problem here but my first impression of SVG
is that it's a rather complicated but powerful tool and I'd just like to know
if I'm on the right track by throwing myself in the deep end of the SVG-pool.
If anybody knows of anything similar to what I've described, I'd really like
to know about it of course :o)

Kind regards and thanks in advance for any answers.
Stefan Freyr.