From Karl_Lars...@salvationarmy.org
Subject RE: NullPointerException
Date Thu, 09 Jan 2003 16:03:51 GMT

Thomas,

TD> 1) Make sure this is the problem code by inserting System.out statements (since you
can build the jars now this
should be fairly easy). In particular I would print 'e' first thing in the catch.  I would
also put in prints before and
after the call to'parser.parse(is)'.

After upgrading to batik-src-1.5beta4b.zip, I added the various System.out statements to the
SaxDocumentFactory code as
follows:

parser.parse(is);
System.out.println("hello after parse");
} catch (SAXException e) {
System.out.println("hello before e");
System.out.println(e);
Exception ex = e.getException();
if (ex != null && ex instanceof InterruptedIOException) {
throw (InterruptedIOException)ex;
}
throw new IOException(e.getMessage());
}

I then rebuilt the JAR files and reimported them into my Lotus Notes agent, but couldn't see
the statements anywhere
when it failed:

java.io.IOException: java.lang.NullPointerException
      at org.apache.batik.dom.util.SAXDocumentFactory.createDocument(SAXDocumentFactory.java:353)
      at org.apache.batik.dom.util.SAXDocumentFactory.createDocument(SAXDocumentFactory.java:276)
      at org.apache.batik.dom.svg.SAXSVGDocumentFactory.createDocument(SAXSVGDocumentFactory.java:158)
      at org.apache.batik.dom.svg.SAXSVGDocumentFactory.createDocument(SAXSVGDocumentFactory.java:231)
      at org.apache.batik.transcoder.XMLAbstractTranscoder.transcode(XMLAbstractTranscoder.java:118)
      at SaveAsJPEG.createJPEG(SaveAsJPEG.java:46)
      at JavaAgent.NotesMain(JavaAgent.java:32)
      at lotus.domino.AgentBase.runNotes(Unknown Source)
      at lotus.domino.NotesThread.run(NotesThread.java:208)

org.apache.batik.transcoder.TranscoderException: null
Enclosed Exception:
java.lang.NullPointerException
      at org.apache.batik.transcoder.XMLAbstractTranscoder.transcode(XMLAbstractTranscoder.java:126)
      at SaveAsJPEG.createJPEG(SaveAsJPEG.java:46)
      at JavaAgent.NotesMain(JavaAgent.java:32)
      at lotus.domino.AgentBase.runNotes(Unknown Source)
      at lotus.domino.NotesThread.run(NotesThread.java:208)

It does have different line numbers now that may make more sense to you though! I checked
to see if any of the default
Notes JARs contained SAXDocumentFactory, but couldn't see it anywhere:

Notes.jar;
liveconn.jar;
XML4j.jar;
LotusXSL.jar;
rt.jar;
i18n.jar;
tools.jar;
servlet.jar

TD> Can an you open the SVG file you are trying to parse here in Squiggle? If the Namespace
or top level element is
wrong you might see a problem here also.

Yeah - it was fine.

Karl

use of individuals or entity to whom they are addressed.

If you have received this email in error, please notify The Salvation Army International Headquarters
Helpdesk on +44 (0) 20 7398 5466 or the originator of the message.

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender
specifies and with the authority, states them to be the views of The Salvation Army International
Trustee Company.

[v3.5.1]