From Felicia Ionascu <...@ocegr.fr>
Subject Re: JPEGTranscoder...
Date Mon, 24 Mar 2003 15:07:05 GMT
Hi James,

I use Batik to transcode to TIFF and had a bad time with the
BufferedImages it works with.
Fortunately, Thomas Deweese put in the Contribution area a class which
transcodes SVG to a RenderedImage. It's not in the Batik official
distribution, but it will keep memory consumption down.
Then with JAI's encoder coming with Batik, you can transform your
ReneredImage to JPEG.

Felicia

James Carman wrote:
> How does the JPEGTranscoder class actually peroform the serialization?  Does
> it generate a BufferedImage object internally and use ImageIO or the Sun JPG
> encoder?  I am asking because I am trying to decide whether Batik will help
> us minimize our memory consumption.  We are generating images in a web
> application and using BufferedImages does create quite a heavy memory load.
> Hopefully Batik can help us with that, but if that's exactly what it does
> behind the scenes, it might make things worse!  Thanks.
>
> James Carman, President
> Carman Consulting, Inc.
> 1218 Bob White Ct.
> Edgewood, KY 41018
> (513) 325-7977

  Felicia IONASCU                 Océ Print Logic Technologies
  mailto:fgi@ocegr.fr             1, rue Jean Lemoine
  phone : +33 (0)1 48 98 81 99    94015 Créteil cedex, France
  fax:    +33 (0)1 48 98 54 50    http://www.oce.com/