From Gavin.Wal...@csiro.au
Subject RE: NPE in Batik in an Applet jar running behind a firewall
Date Mon, 10 Mar 2003 01:28:02 GMT
Hi G. Wade,
  The applet needs to be signed for the very reason you have indicated in
this email.  The batik code references things such as the "user.dir" system
variable which are off limits to applets.

  My principal requirement for using an applet was easy access to a we
browser.  I have since found that later versions of JNLP with java web start
export a "BasicService" class which is sufficient for my need.  We will swap
to java web start at some stage in the future.  The most annoying problem
with the web browser is incidental use of the "back" button.  User
authentication is a mess in either technique.

Gavin Walker
CSIRO, Canberra