From Mitch Germansky <...@dragon.rutgers.edu>
Subject Re: performance probs with winxp tablet OS pen input
Date Mon, 14 Apr 2003 17:48:22 GMT
jan,

first, thanks for your response.

let me reply inline below.
i hope others will participate in finding a solution.
thanks!
-mitch

Lolling, Jan wrote:

>It is not a good idea to manipulate the DOM at every single mouse event.
>This methode is very slow and not applicable, I agree to you but this behavior is not
a bug !
>I build a editor for SVG and all changes and mouse moves will be cached in memory in my
own simple structure and at the end I update the element in DOM.

my application allows the user to "scribble" on the canvas real time
while giving a lecture in a classroom situation.  the canvas may be
blank or may consist of svg converted from source slides (e.g. we use
openoffice to convert powerpoint to svg).  this "scribble" is typically
either highlighting pre existing slide content in the background,
drawing diagrams, or actually writing text (ala  a whiteboard, e.g.
mathematical formulas).  all this is captured for synchronized playback
with captured audio.  so, there is a need for (near) realtime response
to the creation of the <line> elements.

can someone offer a concrete suggestion on how to improve the
performance in the code below?

>For this action I build a handle for every element type and that handle get notice from
mouse moves and all other input events and at a defined end (e.g. right mouse button) I commit
the changes to the element in DOM.

but how to do this when our need is for (near) real time rendering of
the new line elements?

>Helper lines will be painted in the overlay structure.

not sure what you mean here.