From Thomas DeWeese <Thomas.DeWe...@Kodak.com>
Subject Re: interactive SVG
Date Wed, 06 Aug 2003 10:52:51 GMT
zze-DAROUX Olivier FTRD/DIH/GRE wrote:
> Hi,
>

>>Hi
>>Im a university student working on a projet that draws
>>sequence diagrams. I
>>am planning on using SVG to do this. The problem is that im
>>not sure if SVG
>>can be made interactive in a java application( i know this
>>can be done with
>>javascript and a browser). I need to be able to click on
>>certain object
>>names on the diagram which will call a java class(listener)
>>that will handle
>>the clicking event. Can this be done with batik??
>

> Yes of course, this a big advantage of batik (in my opinion :-)).
> If you register a mouselistener on the jsvgcanvas then the event object
> is the shape you clicked. Oh, I give you the method, to help you :-)
> (maybe this is not the best method, I don't know)
> You get the element on which you want add the listener (i.e. with
> getelementbyid) and then use addEventListener("click",
> listenerClassObject, false) on it. Of course the svg element must have a
> onclick attribute (even empty)

     Actually the document does not need an 'onclick' attribute at
all, but in this case you need to tell the JSVGCanvas that the
document will be used as a dynamic document by calling
JSVGCanvas.setDocumentState(ALWAYS_DYNAMIC). It defaults to
AUTODETECT which looks for script elements and/or event attributes
to decide if the document should be treated as dynamic.

>>Thanks in advance for your time. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
>>Ian.

    Hope this helps.