From Thomas DeWeese <Thomas.DeWe...@Kodak.com>
Subject Re: dominant-baseline attribute
Date Wed, 06 Aug 2003 17:31:58 GMT
Hi Matthew,

Matthew L. Avizinis wrote:
> Hello all,
>   When rendering the following part of an fo document through FOP
> 0.20.5, dominant-baseline seems to have no effect.  When I copy the SVG
> portion to its own file and view it with the Adobe viewer it looks as
> expected; in the Batik 1.5 Squiggle viewer it, again, seems to have no
> effect.  The same is true if I use alignment-baseline instead of
> dominant-baseline.
[...]
> According to the Batik website at apache, both attributes are
> implemented, so am I missing something? or does the property work with
> only a particular text content element and not all text content elements?

     Unfortunately the website is wrong.  These attributes are not
currently implemented.  They are not trivial to implement
(given the complexities of SVG text dx/dy etc) and
as of right now I know of no plans to implement them.
Contributions are always welcome!  I could provide a sketch on how
they might be implemented, but it would be a fair amount of work
to come up to speed on how text is layed out in Batik.