From "Denis Bohm" <de...@fireflydesign.com>
Subject Re: Text Selection when events registered?
Date Thu, 04 Sep 2003 17:03:15 GMT
> > Denis Bohm wrote:
> > > "A text selection operation starts when all of the following occur:"
> > > "- no links or events have been assigned to the 'text' , 'tspan' or
> > > 'textPath' , element(s) (or their ancestors) associated with the given
> > > glyph."
> >
> >     That by the way is a really annoying requirement (they don't even
> > specify what they mean by 'events' - mutation events? onload events?).
>
> I agree.  Seems like it would be much better to remove that part of the
> specification (and just note that the pointer-events attribute can be used
> to enable/disable text selection).

The pointer-events="none" worked great for that specific case where I had a
rectangle behind the text that then got the event.

I have another case where I have some text that the user can drag around
(using some onmouse handlers).  The pointer-events="none" doesn't work in
that case - the onmouse handlers aren't called.  Is there any way to just
disable text selection and keep mouse event handlers working?

Denis