From Cameron McCormack <...@mail.csse.monash.edu.au>
Subject Re: Events on used object don't fire
Date Tue, 16 Sep 2003 01:38:23 GMT
Thomas DeWeese:
>   Well, yes and no.  If we fire that event the event target should be
> an ElementInstance.  Since as you know we don't implement the
> ElementInstance
> stuff it would be difficult to do this :)  It isn't clear to me which is the
> lesser of the two evils - not firing the event, or firing the event with
> the cloned instance as target.

Hmm, I see the problem.  I thought the SVGElementInstance was just an
interface, and that the shadow tree contained actual SVG graphics object
elements which implement that interface.  But if they are completely
separate objects, I can see the problem.

Am I right in thinking that, since the shadow tree is completely hidden,
it's impossible to modify the instantiated objects?  And that you can
only modify the referenced elements?

>   Anyone willing to vote on this :)

Maybe the objects which have been cloned with the deepCloneNode function
should implement SVGElementInstance.  Maybe newNode can be overriden
in non-abstract descendants of SVGOMElement to do

	return new SVGOMBlahElement implements SVGElementInstance { };

in the right situation, or something.

Cameron

--
Cameron McCormack