From Thomas DeWeese <Thomas.DeWe...@Kodak.com>
Subject Re: General Discussion: Performance
Date Mon, 08 Sep 2003 12:20:50 GMT
Ralf Siegel wrote:

>>   One possible solution would be to merge all the graphics into
>> one larger graphic (one document with say 200 image elements or
>> better just put them all in one document).  Then you can pull the
>> results out of the generated image.  You might also consider
>> stratagies where you only do this once and cache the generated
>> graphics on the client.
>

> Cool - it seems like I'm on the right track :o) I already have a SVG
> Loader implemented which caches parsed documents and e.g. renders
> multiple buttons by switching layers + the generated graphics are saved
> to disc for a fast startup.

   Depending on how large the layer changes are you might do well to
use the 'Dynamic Renderer' that will only rerender the changed areas.

> What about that case: Assuming there is an SVG document 'elements.svg'
> which holds three elements 'green', 'blue', 'red'. Then there are
> anpther two separate SVG files which are referencing certain elements in
> that document, i.e.
>
> ---> "A.svg" uses element 'green' and 'red'
>
> ---> "B.svg" uses elememt 'blue' and 'red'
>
> Question: Both "A.svg" and "B.svg" require AFAIK to load and parse
> "elements.svg" twice, right? Could you simply tell Batik to keep
> "elements.svg" for later reuse?

   I am almost certain that by default A & B will each load and parse
'elements.svg' once - not twice.

   I believe all this caching behaviour is controlled by the 'DocumentLoader'
class in the batik.bridge package.  This is normally constructed fresh for
each document by the BridgeContext - however you can construct one 'up front'
and pass it to the  BridgeContext's contstructor - so it can reuse documents.