From Thomas DeWeese <Thomas.DeWe...@Kodak.com>
Subject Re: JSVGComponent dynamic DOM update, invokeAndWait threading issue
Date Fri, 19 Sep 2003 18:35:16 GMT
George Armhold wrote:
> Thomas DeWeese wrote:
>
>>> ConcurrentModificationExceptions in the UpdateManager.  I love
>>> threads. :-)
>>

>> Can you provide stack traces?  I'm surprised to see this as the
>> UpdateManager is supposed to be thread safe.
>

> As a non-expert I just took a quick look at the latest Batik CVS
> source.  The UpdateManager's repaint() method looks like it needs a
> synchronized block around its iterator.  Also UpdateTracker.java (used
> by UpdateManager) seems to use lots of unsynchronized collections.

   Well the UpdateTracker is _not_ intended to be thread safe.
I'm not sure if the UpdateManager.repaint needs to be (in
other words does it have to support being called from
multiple threads concurrently) but I agree that locking on
the runnableQueue list is important - and that should have the
side effect of making it thread safe.  Thanks!