From George Armhold <armh...@cs.rutgers.edu>
Subject Re: JSVGComponent dynamic DOM update, invokeAndWait threading issue
Date Mon, 29 Sep 2003 19:29:11 GMT
Sorry for the late reply to this thread; I was travelling when your
reply came in.

Thomas DeWeese wrote:

 >> So now my question is: how can I know when it's safe to call
 >>    UpdateManager um = getUpdateManager();
 >>    RunnableQueue rq = um.getUpdateRunnableQueue();
 >>
 >> and add things to the RunnableQueue?
 >

 >   It is safe after the first GVT rendering completes.  This is
 > _before_ the managerStarted call back, so this shouldn't be the
 > problem.  You should have enough instrumentation in your code now to
 > figure out what the sequence of events is that leads to the Null
 > UpdateManager is.

Indeed, thanks to your help.  It seems there were two key issues in my
code:

- make sure sure UpdateManager is available (wait until
   gvtRenderingCompleted event) before starting DOM updates.

- don't load new SVG documents until pending DOM updates
   (UpdateManager's RunnableQueue) to the currently loaded doc have
   completed.

Although I need to complete more testing, I have not seen any more
crashes since applying these two fixes.  Thanks!

--
George Armhold
Rutgers University