From Andreas Neumann <neum...@karto.baug.ethz.ch>
Subject Re: delayed mouse-over effect for first time of mouse-over
Date Mon, 20 Oct 2003 17:00:51 GMT
>     There is a similar delay.  I don't really know what it
> is, I suspect it is the JavaScript interpreter really
> getting up and running. It might also be the building of
> 'sensitivity' regions. Do you run much code 'onload'?

yes - I run quite a bit "onload" - I color the states geometry and dynamically
create the circles using .createElementNS()

But I don't have the impression that it is the problem of "onload" or starting
the javascript engine, since the delay is always, no matter how long I wait
until I start mouse-over the states geometry. At this time "onload" is executed
already long ago and the js-engine should have been started. If you would wait 5
 minutes after onload the effect still appears.

It must be something different ... once the first mouse-over event occured it is
much more responsive!

Andreas

--
The only thing that stands between a man and what he wants from
life is often merely the will to try it and the faith to believe

Andreas Neumann - Department of Cartography
ETH Hoenggerberg, CH-8093  Zurich, Switzerland
Phone: ++41-1-633 3031, Fax: ++41-1-633 1153
e-mail: neumann@karto.baug.ethz.ch
www: http://www.karto.ethz.ch/neumann/
SVG.Open/Carto.net: http://www.svgopen.org/