From Thomas DeWeese <Thomas.DeWe...@Kodak.com>
Subject Re: SVG & Batik - RunnableQueue
Date Mon, 06 Oct 2003 12:50:31 GMT
Denis Bohm wrote:

> I have an application that I would like to implement using SVG and the Java
> Language Binding Scripting.  I have an SVG document and a Java
> EventListenerInitializer that is working in Squiggle.  So far, so good.  Now
> I would like to sping off a thread that creates a socket connection and
> listens for data.  When the data arrives I would like to update the SVG DOM.
> To do that I need to ask the Batik canvas for the update manager and ask
> that for the runnable queue then queue up a runnable to do the update.
> However, I don't have a reference to the canvas.  Is there some way to get
> one from the document?

   Well the Window object we provide has a method 'getBridgeContext' and
the BridgeContext can provide you with the UpdateManager (if there is one).

> I would also like my code to not use any Batik implementation specific stuff
> (in the hope that other browsers will also support SVG with Java scripting).

   The above is 100% pure Batik :)

> So I took a look at the SVG 1.2 spec to see if there was some upcoming
> standard way to do this.  Section 11 talks about adding a SVGWindow
> interface with a way to create SVGTimer objects that can run a set of
> SVGRunnable objects.  So it sounds like the following:

[...]

> but it could potentially run in other implementations.  Does that sound
> right?

   This might be a route to go.  I suspect they WG is trying to
standardize on how to access the DOM in a multi-threaded environment,
so it may provide a less 'hacky' way to do this in the future.

> BTW: It looks like adding these interfaces and an implementation that just
> routes the calls the existing Batik code would be fairly straight forward.
> Is there any interest in that?

    Contributions are always welcome!