From Thomas DeWeese <Thomas.DeWe...@Kodak.com>
Subject Re: Panther (Mac OX 10.3) fixes Batik startup problems
Date Sun, 26 Oct 2003 14:31:09 GMT
Hi Anthony,

   Thanks for running the tests.

Anthony J. Starks wrote:

> Here are some informal timings of Batik 1.5 under Panther;
> unfortunately, I don't have comparisons with the older platform.  I'm
> hoping others can fill this in for both older Mac and other platforms as
> well.

   Is there anyone with a similar Powerbook?

> Environment:
> Batik 1.5
> Powerbook G4 667MhZ, 512 Mb Ram
> Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther)
> java version "1.4.1_01"
> Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.1_01-99)
> Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.1_01-27, mixed mode)
>
> Time from startup to first display of squggle: 16 seconds
> After startup, I timed the load and display times for selected files in
> the samples directory:

   Does this 16sec vary at all from 'cold start' to 'warm start'?
So on windows there is a _very_ large difference between the start time
for the first run and the second run (I think because the class files
get cached in Memory).  Also is this from a 'jar' file or from class files?
I would guess jar file.

   Did you use the
'Preferences->Browser Options->Optional Behaviors->Show Debug Trace'
for the following times?  I would guess not (since they aren't in millis).
For this to show up you would have to start from the terminal window:

% java -jar svg-browser samples/anne.svg

   This gives millisec times for each phase of rendering a document:

Document load started...
Document load completed in 100 ms
GVT build started...
GVT build completed in 220 ms