From Christopher Borchert <cborch...@csc.com>
Subject SVG symbol printing offset issue
Date Fri, 13 Feb 2004 20:23:36 GMT
I have a small, working Java GUI app that allows a user to place SVG images
on the screen. Each SVG image is exactly 9.0 pixels tall and wide. This is
verified in the code by outputting GraphicsNode.getBounds().getWidth() and
getHeight(). I draw a grid framework with lines every 10 pixels so users
can click to place any SVG symbol into the empty space between gridlines.
(Like placing X's and O's in a tic-tac-toe game). On screen it looks
perfect, even scaled to 800%. However printing has a small problem. The SVG
symbols print a little too far to the right and too far down to properly
fit within their grid "cell". They print over the right and bottom
gridline. I use the exact same code for screen display and printing. I use
GraphicsNode.paint() to get a nice smooth image even scaled to 800%. I have
"fixed" this printing problem with this line before painting any SVG
symbols when printing:
g2d.translate(-0.5, -0.5);
I have created my 9 pixel symbols in Illustrator and a program I found on
sourceforge called sodipodi. So I think the problem is not in the SVG data
but in the Batik renderer (or my use of it). Any idea why this is required
to print at an exact location?

Thanks,
Chris

Following is an excerpt of my display/print code:

public void paintComponent(Graphics g)
{
    super.paintComponent(g);
    Graphics2D g2d = (Graphics2D)g;
    drawPage(g2d, false);
}
public int print(Graphics g, PageFormat pf, int page) throws
PrinterException
{
    if(page >= 1) return Printable.NO_SUCH_PAGE;
    Graphics2D g2d = (Graphics2D)g;
    g2d.translate((int)pf.getImageableX(), (int)pf.getImageableY());
    drawPage(g2d, true);
    return Printable.PAGE_EXISTS;
}
public void drawPage(Graphics2D g2d, boolean printFlag)
{
    RenderingHints rh = new RenderingHints(null);
    rh.put(RenderingHints.KEY_ANTIALIASING,
RenderingHints.VALUE_ANTIALIAS_ON);
    g2d.setRenderingHints(rh);
    g2d.setStroke(new BasicStroke(0.01f));
    int gridWidth = 99;    // 10x10 grid of 9 pixel symbols
    int gridHeight = 99;   // with 1-pixel separating lines
    for(int i = 1; i < 10; i++)
    {
        int width = (9 * i) + i - 1;
        g2d.draw(new Line2D.Float(width, 0, width, gridHeight));
    }
    for(int j = 1; j < 10; j++)
    {
        int height = (9 * j) + j - 1;
        g2d.draw(new Line2D.Float(0, height, gridWidth, height));
    }
    int iconLineWidth = 10;    // svg image plus line (9+1)
    int iconLineHeight = 10;
    if(printFlag == true)
    {
        g2d.translate(-0.5f, -0.5f);    // KLUDGE
    }

    for(int x = 0; x < 10; x++)
    {
        for(int y = 0; y < 10; y++)
        {
            if(grid[x][y] != -1)
            {
                svgSymbol(grid[x][y]).paint(g2d);
            }
            g2d.translate(0, iconLineHeight);
        }
        g2d.translate(iconLineWidth, -10 * iconLineHeight);
    }
}