From Chimera <chim...@ennersea.net>
Subject How to install .jar files into Java Source tree?
Date Sun, 23 May 2004 23:43:30 GMT
Hi folks, beginning Java programmer here.  I am learning from the ground
up, so please bear with.

How does one install the .jar files of Batik properly into the Java
source tree?  I see some references of other external .jar files being
put into /lib/ext inside the source directory. Is this were I drop the
files?

The end goal is to allow Eclipse to see the import targets below.  Right
now it is complaining that it cannot find them.  What I will need to do
(months/year from now, when I decide to package up my project and
distribute it) is distribute the required .jar files for Batik with the
program (correct?), so is it more beneficial to me right now to just
drop them somehow into my own code's source tree?

Import statements that is causing Eclipse to complain:  (These are taken
from one of the Batik examples.  I am having to learn how it all works
before I can make it jump through my own hoops.)

import org.apache.batik.swing.JSVGCanvas;
import org.apache.batik.swing.gvt.GVTTreeRendererAdapter;
import org.apache.batik.swing.gvt.GVTTreeRendererEvent;
import org.apache.batik.swing.svg.SVGDocumentLoaderAdapter;
import org.apache.batik.swing.svg.SVGDocumentLoaderEvent;
import org.apache.batik.swing.svg.GVTTreeBuilderAdapter;
import org.apache.batik.swing.svg.GVTTreeBuilderEvent;

As of now, I have my own code in the following hierarchy:

Project Directory
   +  Data     ( future .xml data files. )
   +  GUI      ( application code )
        - src  ( <-- Can I drop a directory off here? )
        - bin  ( all .class files )
        - doc  ( javadoc files )
   +  Resources
        - Images
        - Maps

Thanks for the help.  I am struggling to learn how to do all this.
Bound to make mistakes. :)