From Chimera <chim...@ennersea.net>
Subject Re: How to install .jar files into Java Source tree?
Date Mon, 24 May 2004 00:07:30 GMT
Bob Tarling wrote:

>You just need to tell eclipse where the jars are (in effect adding them to
>your classpath).
>
>In eclipse, right click on your project in the tree and select properties
>
>>>From the resulting winow select the libraries tab. Press the Add JARs...
>button and select the jars to add to your project.
>

>>Hi folks, beginning Java programmer here.  I am learning from the ground
>>up, so please bear with.
>>
>>How does one install the .jar files of Batik properly into the Java
>>source tree?  I see some references of other external .jar files being
>>put into /lib/ext inside the source directory. Is this were I drop the
>>files?
>>
>>The end goal is to allow Eclipse to see the import targets below.  Right
>>now it is complaining that it cannot find them.  What I will need to do
>>(months/year from now, when I decide to package up my project and
>>distribute it) is distribute the required .jar files for Batik with the
>>program (correct?), so is it more beneficial to me right now to just
>>drop them somehow into my own code's source tree?
>>
>>Import statements that is causing Eclipse to complain:  (These are taken
>>from one of the Batik examples.  I am having to learn how it all works
>>before I can make it jump through my own hoops.)
>>
>>import org.apache.batik.swing.JSVGCanvas;
>>import org.apache.batik.swing.gvt.GVTTreeRendererAdapter;
>>import org.apache.batik.swing.gvt.GVTTreeRendererEvent;
>>import org.apache.batik.swing.svg.SVGDocumentLoaderAdapter;
>>import org.apache.batik.swing.svg.SVGDocumentLoaderEvent;
>>import org.apache.batik.swing.svg.GVTTreeBuilderAdapter;
>>import org.apache.batik.swing.svg.GVTTreeBuilderEvent;

Thanks, Bob!  I knew that I had to add them in, just wasn't sure the
best way to do so.  In Netbeans, you could point/mount other
directories, and I recall unzipping all the src files, compiling
everything, and just mounting the source tree there.  I realize now that
this was overkill.

Now, the next step (after checking that everything works as planned) is
figuring out which .jars I -need- and which I can safely not load for
now.  I am presuming that I will use the above import statements, track
down the .jar that contains those objects, and remove the rest.

Thanks for the help.  Off and running.