From ananth balasubramanyam <abala...@cs.odu.edu>
Subject Re: Open-Type fonts with Batik?
Date Tue, 04 May 2004 17:08:43 GMT

Hi Brice,

Illustrator puts it exactly as u have mentioned.
I have an svg created in Ill with font-family="'Myriad-Italic'". I have a
Myriad-Italic.ttf font file in jre/lib/fonts. But batik fails to use this
font. If i change font-family="'Myriad'", then batik sees it. I have no
idea why this is happening.

thanks,
Ananth

On Tue, 4 May 2004, Ruth, Brice wrote:

> Ananth,
>
> I simply put the HelveticaLTStd-Bold.ttf file in my JDK's jre/lib/fonts
> folder, and it appeared to work from that point on. The SVG looks like this:
>
> font-family="'HelveticaLTStd-Bold'"
>
> So, the family-name is encased in single-quotes, within the
> double-quotes. I didn't do this, this is how Illustrator created the
> SVG. This is within a <tspan> element.
>
> Does that help?!
>
> Brice
>
> ananth balasubramanyam wrote:
>
> >thanks !
> >I seem to have an issue with the font-family="HelveticaLTStd-Bold".
> >batik does not recognize the font if specified so. pfaedit tool also
> >creates a TrueType font of the same name as the opentype font. But batik
> >fails to use the correct font file. When i manually went into the svg and
> >modified the xml with the font-family="" and appended font-weight="", then
> >it worked. Could you please explain what you did with the truetype font
> >files. How could you make batik see these ?
> >
> >thanks,
> >Ananth
> >
> >On Tue, 4 May 2004, Ruth, Brice wrote:
> >

> >>Many thanks! I've also taken the approach now of converting the OpenType
> >>fonts to TrueType fonts, using FontLab - which unfortunately cost a bit
> >>of money, but the results are quite good.
> >>
> >>Also, with this conversion, I am able to take an OpenType font such as
> >>'HelveticaLTStd-Bold' and have FontLab create a TrueType font of the
> >>same name, and Batik is able to properly use the font, without resorting
> >>to 'font-weight="bold"'
> >>
> >>It would be so nice if Illustrator, or a tool that could read
> >>Illustrator files, could embed the fonts as actual SVG fonts - or -
> >>Batik could read CEF fonts, as the open-source freetype library
> >>apparently can.
> >>
> >>Regards,
> >>Brice Ruth

I'm