From "Beton, Richard" <richard.be...@roke.co.uk>
Subject Separate CSS Engine?
Date Thu, 15 Jul 2004 18:30:30 GMT
Hi all,

I have a question for Batik developers.  I have been using a subset of
Batik for a simple diagram drawing application, based on a limited
subset of SVG.  In my project, the CSS engine has proved very useful.  I
have a suggestion regarding it.

The CSS engine appears to be tightly coupled within Batik, in the sense
that it has deep understanding of CSS properties of SVG documents.
However, as an XML utility, the CSS engine could stand alone.  Applying
CSS to an XML document is a general task, not limited to SVG.  A
standalone CSS engine might be useful for other developers working with
XML and CSS, using other XML dialects.

To achieve this, the properties supported by the engine would need to be
decoupled, perhaps using some pluggable mechanism.  One main dependency
in the Batik CSSEngine class appears to be the CSSConstants class, which
lists the SVG CSS properties.

Is this a good idea?
Is there a roadmap for future Batik development that might have this added?

For my application, the CSS engine is very useful as it is.  It limits
me to using [a subset of] SVG because of the SVG coupling, but that's
not been a problem.

Regards,
Rick :-)

Visit our website at www.roke.co.uk

Roke Manor Research Ltd, Roke Manor, Romsey, Hampshire SO51 0ZN, UK.

The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments is confidential to
Roke Manor Research Ltd and must not be passed to any third party without
permission. This communication is for information only and shall not create or
change any contractual relationship.