From Thomas DeWeese <Thomas.DeWe...@Kodak.com>
Subject Re: Locales problem (was Re: batik attempts to download classes from applet)
Date Thu, 21 Oct 2004 12:16:08 GMT
Hi Jorg,

Jorg Heymans wrote:

> Still having some symptoms of this, batik tries to download
> org.apache.batik.swing.resources.Messages.class (and subsequently,
> "Messages_de_DE" variants of this)
>
> Is this the same problem as with the dtd.properties file before?

    Yes, except these files really should be able to be localized.
The Messages*.properties files store all the UI text, see,
java.util.ResourceBundle.

    It appears that there isn't a clean way to avoid this given
the design of Applets.  What you really want to say is only check
the contents of the Archives (jar files).  But an applet always
has 'codebase' on the class path - so it will always attempt to
load 'missing' files from the server (as opposed to simply
aborting).

    You might be able to do something with a subclass of ClassLoader
but I would think that it would be hard to know when it was safe
to pass a load request to a parent and when it wasn't.

    Why is it so bad for the Applet to request these classes? (the
Server should respond fairly quickly with a 404).