From "G. Wade Johnson" <gwa...@anomaly.org>
Subject Re: Batik memory leak
Date Tue, 14 Dec 2004 04:03:58 GMT
If it helps, I've seen the same behavior in an image viewer type of
SVG I wrote. I'm just displaying it in Squiggle and loading different
images by changing the xlink:href in an <image/> element.

The amount of memory consumed continues to grow the more images I
display. (Each time I am replacing the xlink:href value, and I keep
no references to the images anywhere.)

It takes over 100 images to reach the out of memory case, but it
always happens. I hadn't posted anything, because I haven't had
time to track it down.

I've seen the same behavior on Batik 1.5 and 1.5.1.

G. Wade

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 21:42:18 -0500
Thomas DeWeese <Thomas.DeWeese@Kodak.com> wrote:

> Archie Cobbs wrote:
>
> >>Note that one thing my application does is change the "xlink:href"
> >>attribute on existing <use> nodes to point them at different
> >symbols.>
> >>Perhaps there is some leak where Batik retains a reference to the
> >>previously pointed-to <use> referent?
> >
> > Aha! I changed my code to delete the previous <use> and add a new
> > <use> each time, instead of just changing the "xlink:href"
> > attribute, and this fixed the leak.
> >
> > So as far as I can tell there is a Batik memory leak in handling
> > this case.
>
>      What version of Batik are you using?
>
>      Also are the href references local, "#blah", or external,
> "foo.svg#bar"?  A mix?
>
>      I've given the code a good looking over and it is hard for me
> to see where the leak occurs, but I am very interested in finding it.
> Any chance of a reproducible test case?

An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in
very narrow field.                                     -- Niels Bohr