From Archie Cobbs <arc...@dellroad.org>
Subject Re: serialized applet
Date Fri, 17 Dec 2004 15:18:49 GMT
TJ Teegan wrote:
> I am not sure exactly what you are trying to accomplish, but if the goal
> is to get document you are going to put on the canvas as small as
> possible I would suggest looking at how you can take a loaded
> SVGDocument and write the DOM as a String.  Then you can use the
> Deflater class in java.util.zip to compress it into a relatively small
> byte[].  To load it, use the Inflater class in java.util.zip and create
> a Document similar to the examples at
> http://xml.apache.org/batik/domapi.html#creating

Along these lines, I didn't realize this at first but JSVGCanvas
is perfectly happy loading an URL that points to a gzip'd SVG file.
E.g., setURL("http://foo.com/myfile.svg.gz").

We've found that compresing the files makes load times a lot faster,
because a nontrivial amount of time was spent just downloading the
file over the net. Of course, SVG files compress very well, e.g. 90%.

-Archie