From "Tang, Charlie Y." <CYT...@cooperstandard.com>
Subject RE: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
Date Wed, 01 Dec 2004 15:29:48 GMT
Thomas, thanks for the reply

>> I have a problem of OutofMemoryError when updating my screen
>> continuously every second after about a day or so

>   I don't know if the system has been stress tested to
>this extent .  Every update involves a fair amount of code.
>Someone is obviously holding onto something but I don't know what.
>What version of Batik are you using?  What sorts of updates are you
>doing? (text, shapes, fill colors, fill gradients, transforms, etc).

I'm changing text, make elements flash on and off, and translating the
object by modifying the transform attribute.

>> I'm guessing the problem is the RunnableUpdate ru added to the
>> RunnableQueue causes a RunnableQueue.Link object to be created to
link
>> to every Runnable Update

 >   This is probably not the problem (I looked at the code it
>is, at least on the face of it unlinking the nodes).  It is probably
>something much deeper in Batik.

>> And that does not get deleted eventhough there is only one instances
of
>> RunnableUpdate and that's ru. ? is there a way to update my screen
>> continuously and indefinately?

>    It should just work.  The only real way to find the problem
>would be to use a tool like JProbe which has pretty good tools
>for identifying garbage that is collecting over time.  I'm
>willing to work with you on this, but I don't have access to
>JProbe or any other "real" memory debugging tool for Java right now.

I've used JProbe on my program,when I used InvokeLater instead of
InvokeAndWait, the problem was even worse, my program would crash after
about 10 hours. The RunnableQueue$Link object count increased everytime
updates were called. After using InvokeAndWait(), it seems to work
better, but occasionally went out of memory also.

Thanks
Charlie Tang