From James Shaw <hertzsprrr...@btopenworld.com>
Subject Re: Obtaining glyph bounding box
Date Tue, 01 Feb 2005 14:36:33 GMT
Thomas DeWeese wrote:

> James Shaw wrote:
>
>> I am loading an SVG file containing an embedded font (and nothing
>> else) as an SVGDocument.
>> I wish to obtain bounding boxes for glyphs in the embedded font,
>> without actually inserting that glyph in the DOM.
>>
>> What is the best way to obtain this data?
>

> Insert the glyph into the DOM (set visibility to hidden or even
> just insert and then remove it before your script returns).

Visibility shouldn't be a problem since I'm not actually displaying the
document.

> If you really want to muck with Batik internals there are other ways
> but AFAIK there are no SVG DOM methods for the glyph elements
> that provide this functionality.

Looking at the API docs, I'm trying to get hold of an instance of
org.apache.batik.gvt.font.Glyph,
then invoke its getBounds2D object. However, I have yet to find a way of
obtaining a handle to
the GVT.

Cheers,
James Shaw