From Thomas DeWeese <Thomas.DeWe...@Kodak.com>
Subject Re: Batik Performance Questions
Date Wed, 09 Feb 2005 11:04:05 GMT
Hi Steven,

Thomas DeWeese wrote:

>    This is complex, there used to be lots of 'gotchas' in
> Java2D (but this was mostly back with JDK 1.2), so it is
> entirely possible that it was chosen as the least bug prone
> choice (which makes me nervous to change it), and on Unix
> and windows the performance difference was negligible.
> Obviously, the above means that this should probably change
> I'll look at changing it and see what breaks.

    Bad news an old bug decided to come back from the dead.
When you clip the rendering the sRGB_Pre code path sometimes
comes up with a zero height clip region which causes the
code to keel over (doesn't happen with Unpre).

    The good news is that this bug seems to be fixed in JDK 1.4,
so I may make the ColorModel used depend on the JDK version
(the Mac JVM is 1.4).  This still makes me nervous because it
means that there will be a very significant difference between
how images are rendered in JVM's >= 1.4 from 1.3.

    I could also make it Mac specific, this would be safer since
without the change Batik is almost unusable on Mac anyways so some
fairly small chance of additional problems is less of an issue.

---