From Andreas Neumann <neum...@karto.baug.ethz.ch>
Subject Re: Batik Performance Questions
Date Wed, 09 Feb 2005 14:44:07 GMT
Thank you Thomas - I think that is a good compromise. At least it makes
it much quicker for us Mac people ...

I will tell you if I run into major problems because of the switch.

Andreas

Thomas DeWeese wrote:

> Hi Steven,
>
>> Steven Huey wrote:
>>
>>> 2. Why is sRGB_Unpre selected as the default?
>>

> Thomas DeWeese wrote:
>
>>    This is complex, there used to be lots of 'gotchas' in
>> Java2D (but this was mostly back with JDK 1.2), so it is
>> entirely possible that it was chosen as the least bug prone
>> choice (which makes me nervous to change it), and on Unix
>> and windows the performance difference was negligible.
>> Obviously, the above means that this should probably change
>> I'll look at changing it and see what breaks.
>

>    Bad news an old bug decided to come back from the dead.
> When you clip the rendering the sRGB_Pre code path sometimes
> comes up with a zero height clip region which causes the
> code to keel over (doesn't happen with Unpre).
>
>    The good news is that this bug seems to be fixed in JDK 1.4,
> so I may make the ColorModel used depend on the JDK version
> (the Mac JVM is 1.4).  This still makes me nervous because it
> means that there will be a very significant difference between
> how images are rendered in JVM's >= 1.4 from 1.3.
>
>    I could also make it Mac specific, this would be safer since
> without the change Batik is almost unusable on Mac anyways so some
> fairly small chance of additional problems is less of an issue.
>
> ---
>

>>> I checked out the Batik sources from CVS and changed line 90 that
>>> reads:
>>>
>>> ColorModel cm = GraphicsUtil.sRGB_Unpre;
>>> = PowerBook =
>>> sRGB_Pre: 2.828
>>> sRGB_Unpre: 133.748
>>

>>    That's pretty impressive :)

Andreas Neumann - Department of Cartography
ETH Hoenggerberg, CH-8093  Zurich, Switzerland
Phone: ++41-1-633 3031, Fax: ++41-1-633 1153
e-mail: neumann@karto.baug.ethz.ch
www: http://www.carto.net/neumann/
SVG.Open: http://www.svgopen.org/
Carto.net: http://www.carto.net/