From Andreas Neumann <neum...@karto.baug.ethz.ch>
Subject Re: idea to show modified source in Batik
Date Mon, 14 Feb 2005 09:50:59 GMT
Thomas,

thank you for your very quick extension of the squiggle viewer,
regarding "Save As" - I tried it and it worked.

I also saw that getURL() with gzipped content works again. Thank you
very much!

>    There are two ways to look at this
>     1) What you really want is the DOM so don't touch it!
>     2) saving a document that can't be used is kind of
>            pointless.

for me it is the mainly number 1), I want to see the modified DOM,
mainly for debugging reasons when I do a lot of scripting and getURL
calls. I know the DOM tree viewer works as well, but for larger chunks
of data it is quicker to examine it in a plain text file.

As to number 2): I can see use cases for that as well (Jamie Browning,
Exponent had one use case). So you suggest the content authors to add
xml:base so the modified file can find the external ressources? I also
saw that the saved, modified DOM tree does not include the XML header
and DOCTYPE. That might be a problem for applications of number 2)

>    There is one fairly simple solution for many of these cases
> which would be to set xml:base on the root SVG element to the
> original document URL.  Right now it just saves the DOM "as is".

for me the current functionality of "Save As" is already very useful.

I have only a minor suggestion for this functionality: if you add a
little checkbox to ask the user if he wants to pretty print the output
(using the Batik pretty printer) it would make the output more
"readable" by adding line breaks. Using the default options of the
pretty-printer would work fine.

What do you think? Is that a lot of effort to include this as well?

Thank you for your continuous support!

Andreas

Andreas Neumann - Institute of Cartography
ETH Hoenggerberg
CH-8093  Zurich, Switzerland
Phone: ++41-1-633 3031, Fax: ++41-1-633 1153
e-mail: neumann@karto.baug.ethz.ch
www: http://www.carto.net/neumann/
SVG.Open: http://www.svgopen.org/
Carto.net: http://www.carto.net/