From Andreas Neumann <neum...@karto.baug.ethz.ch>
Subject Re: IRC channel
Date Wed, 16 Feb 2005 10:56:09 GMT
I also think that the Wiki idea would be good. Esp. to exchange code
snippets or tips and tricks.

I am not a big IRC fan, though I am not against having one. I personally
think the current mailinglist is efficient enough. People can answer if
they are competent and when they have time.

Andreas

Jeremias Maerki wrote:

>Indeed IRC channels are not so good when it comes to preserve answers.
>That's why Apache doesn't promote this even though certain communities
>with a big enough community use IRC channels. But they use it mostly for
>discussing development issues and they sum up these discussions in the
>mailing list so they are archived.
>
>For James I have a propsal: What about setting up a Wiki for Batik? In a
>Wiki all users (not just the developers) can work together to add
>documentation, gather ideas, to provide code snippets etc. We're already
>using a Wiki in FOP [1]. Setting one up for Batik wouldn't be a big deal.
>
>[1] http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/FrontPage
>
>On 16.02.2005 10:56:48 James Shaw wrote:
>

>>Lasse Riis wrote:
>>

>>>Well I've already been in SVG sometimes (how I heard of Batik  :)
>>>Maybe Batik doesn't have a userbase big enough to support a specific
>>>user channel?
>>>
>>>I just personally like to have a place to pop those tiny questions
>>>that you simply can't find an answer to, and don't want write a
>>>maillinglist about (usually because of their size). It helps me out a
>>>lot when I'm programming. But maybe that says a lot more about my
>>>programming skills than it says about the need for a channel :)
>>>
>>>Would it be unrealistic to have a channel? (or does it have horrible
>>>disadvantages that I'm not seeing)
>>>
>>>Lasse Riis
>>>

>>I too like IRC channels for an instant response (though you don't have
>>to wait long on this mailing list ;-)  My only concern is that others
>>will not be able to search an IRC channel, like they could a mailing
>>list, for solutions to their problems.  I would, however, love to see
>>some Java code snippets demonstrating some common uses of the Batik API
>>(apologies if they already exist and I've missing them)
>>

>Jeremias Maerki

Andreas Neumann - Department of Cartography
ETH Hoenggerberg, CH-8093  Zurich, Switzerland
Phone: ++41-1-633 3031, Fax: ++41-1-633 1153
e-mail: neumann@karto.baug.ethz.ch
www: http://www.carto.net/neumann/
SVG.Open: http://www.svgopen.org/
Carto.net: http://www.carto.net/