From Steven Huey <stevenh...@stevenhuey.net>
Subject Re: Batik Performance Questions
Date Tue, 08 Feb 2005 19:33:40 GMT
Thomas,

I checked out the Batik sources from CVS and changed line 90 that reads:

ColorModel cm = GraphicsUtil.sRGB_Unpre;

so that it would use the Linear_sRGB ColorModel, recompiled, and re-ran
my tests.I repeated this process for the Linear_sRGB_Pre,
Linear_sRGB_Unpre, sRGB, sRGB_Pre, and sRGB_Unpre.

Here are the results for the time to render (in seconds):

= PowerBook =
Linear_sRGB: 36.184
Linear_sRGB_Pre: 2.918
Linear_sRGB_Unpre: 132.927
sRGB: 34.751
sRGB_Pre: 2.828
sRGB_Unpre: 133.748

= Dell Workstation =
Linear_sRGB: 1.36
Linear_sRGB_Pre: 1.344
Linear_sRGB_Unpre: 1.344
sRGB: 1.141
sRGB_Pre: 1.328
sRGB_Unpre: 1.359

I've modified the benchmark program slightly so the times are somewhat
less on the PC then they were before, however some of the times on the
PowerBook are much better, and are within a second or two of the PC.

With that in mind, I've got two more questions:

1. Are there any advantages / disadvantages to the various models?
2. Why is sRGB_Unpre selected as the default?

Thanks,
Steven Huey