From Andreas Neumann <neum...@karto.baug.ethz.ch>
Subject Batik rasterizer and PDF
Date Fri, 15 Apr 2005 15:11:29 GMT
Hi all,

I have a couple questions about batik-rasterizer and PDF.

The rasterizer works fine using raster files as output, such as PNG, but
I have problems with the PDF output. For some reasons it stops rendering
my map layer at a certain stage. Unfortunately, batik-rasterizer does
not output any error messages to give me a hint what is going wrong. I
have an example at
http://www.carto.net/neumann/temp/batik_rasterizer_pdf_problem.zip  -
the archive contains the source SVG (which can be displayed by Batik
1.6), a linked SVG font file, a rasterized PNG output by
batik-rasterizer and a PDF output by batik-rasterizer. If you open both
output files you can see that the hydrology and road layers are missing
in the PDF and that the white background text-elements (halo) are also
missing. I don't know  - maybe the problem is with FOP?

My test environment:
Win2K, Java 1.5.0_02

my CLASSPATH:-
C:\Program Files\batik-1.6;C:\Program Files\batik-1.6\lib;C:\Program
Files\Altova\FOP\build;C:\Program Files\Altova\FOP\lib;
FOP is in version 0.20.5, Batik in version 1.6

my command:
java -Xmx512M -jar batik-rasterizer.jar -w 4096 -h 3072 -m
application/pdf -d yos.pdf yosemite.svg

--------------------

The other question is about the collaboration of Batik and FOP. As I
understand it, batik-rasterizer need FOP to generate PDFs. Is there
anythink I need to pay attention to, regarding FOP? Do I need to
configure anything in FOP? I understand that I have to add fonts, if I
want text output instead of curves. Anything else?

My last question is regarding opacity: is it true that the current
Batik/FOP combination rasterizes elements that have a opacity attribute?
E.g. if I have a landcover vector layer with an opacity above a
shaded-relief, the landcover vector layer would be rasterized (as in my
example)?

Thanks for the help with my problem and all the best,
Andreas