From Thomas DeWeese <Thomas.DeWe...@Kodak.com>
Subject Re: RMI: getElementByID returns null
Date Thu, 11 Aug 2005 12:16:16 GMT
Hi Ted,

Ted.Clement@apcc.com wrote:
> We recently migrated from Batik 1.5 to v1.6 and noticed that the
> SVGDocument.getElementById() method
> was broken.  We are using RMI to stream the SVGDocument from a server to
> one (or more) clients.

   Did this actually work in 1.5?  I was under the impression that
lots of things would break...

> A little research showed that the elementsByID  list is marked "transient"
> in the AbstractDocument:
> [...]
> I was wondering what the reason was for marking this component "transient"

    Mostly a copy/paste error from elementsByTagName etc.  Do you want
to provide a patch and a test (not using RMI, just Serialization)
so this doesn't break again in the future?

> and if, perhaps there should
> be a "reset() or rebuild()"  method to rebuild non-serialized components
> (by walking the tree and rebuilding it).
> (I assume that this list is for convenience / optimization, and therefore
> wouldn't need to be kept in sync
> with the "backend" version.)

    No this _is_ the list of id's.  It would in fact be impossible
to rebuild it correctly after the fact (it tracks all elements created
by the Document even if they are not currently part of the document
tree).