From "Scott A. Ruffner" <sruff...@phy.ucsf.edu>
Subject Re: Applet way too slow on MAC
Date Fri, 12 Aug 2005 01:40:19 GMT
Hi, Thomas --

I haven't tried your suggestions yet, but
thanks....

here are a few numbers for rendering a
figure (with lots of lines, simple shapes,
and text) to a JSVGCanvas in my application
running on a Powerbook G4, 800MHz, 1G SDRAM
(times in ms):

MacOSX    Batik      "doc"  "build"   "render"
10.3.x    1.5         354     251       8308
10.3.x    1.6         369     245        675   YEA!
10.4.2    1.6         333     214      13637   DARN!

I did try to profile my application running
on MacOSX 10.4.2 (Powerbook G4, 800MHz, 1G SDRAM)
using Shark.  Unfortunately, I haven't been able
to get Shark to lookup symbols in my app yet, but
I found that during rendering, much of the CPU
time is spent in calls to __memcpy() in the
commpage library, and most of the calls were made
from CGBlt_copyBytes() in Apple's CoreGraphics
library...  doubt if that helps at all, but maybe
it will light some bulb out there somewhere...

--
Scott A. Ruffner, Scientific Programmer/Analyst
Lisberger Lab