From Andreas Neumann <neum...@karto.baug.ethz.ch>
Subject Re: nightly builds
Date Fri, 26 Aug 2005 17:11:01 GMT
Hi Jonathan,

building Batik from the SVN repository is very simple and
straigthforward. I initially thought it would be complicated, since I am
not a java developer, but it's not.

First, you need to install the JDK from Sun (versions 1.4 and 1.5 should
work) - make sure that the java compiler ("java") is available in the
path and that the $JAVA_HOME variable is set.

Next you need to install an "svn" client - well, I guess as an mozilla
developer you might already have one.

You check out the sources with the following command:

svn co http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/xml/[project]/trunk/ xml-[project]

as written at http://xml.apache.org/svn.html

Once you checked out the sources go to the trunk/ directory and edit the
"build.xml" file and add more memory to Batik. Watch out for the line
<jvmarg value="-Xmx512m" /> and uncomment that line. Add as much memory
as you want to. 64 megs is not enough, usually, I usually allocate 256M
or 512M on big machines.

Finally, run the file "build.sh module-name" on Linux/MacOSX or
"build.bat" on Windows and enjoy ... For the batik-squiggle SVG viewer
you would run

"./build.sh squiggle"

------------

If you want to debug scripts there are two tricks:
1) the builtin javascript debugger (Menu "Tools --> Script Debugger")
where you can set break-points, watch-variables and can see the context
of a function (which function called the other). To enable the script
debugger you first need to go to "edit --> preferences --> Browser
Options --> Security Settings and deselect the "Enforce secure
scripting" checkbox, so it is turned off
2) you can write out messages to the console/dos window by using
"System.out.println(variable)"
This is especially useful for debugging mouse events.

Finally, if you want to update the sources just go to directory "trunk"
and type "svn update".

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Andreas