From Thomas DeWeese <Thomas.DeWe...@Kodak.com>
Subject Re: Waiting for JSVGComponent
Date Mon, 05 Sep 2005 23:26:59 GMT
Hi David,

David
  wrote:
> Thanks.  I had tried to accomplish what you're describing, but I'm new
> to Java threading.  I am calling wait() from the main servlet thread.
> At the end of the event listener I call notify().  This doesn't not
> seem to work.  Any suggestions?

    Are you calling 'wait' and 'notify' on the same object? It doesn't
matter much what the object is but they have to be the same object.
Some people construct a primitive 'Object' to act as a lock in cases
like this.

> As for what why I'm using JSVGComponent-  I'm writing a custom
> web-based map tool.  By using JSVGComponent I can have the client
> click on the map in the web browser, then via the xmlhttprequest
> object send the coordinates to the server.  I'm using the
> JSVGComponent to generate a GVTTree and checking each path's
> contains(Point2D) method to see which geographic region the client
> clicked on.

    Well you can get a GVT tree easily enough using the instructions
on:
	http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-batik/BootSvgAndCssDom

    This would also allow you to use the SVG DOM methods.