From Thomas DeWeese <Thomas.DeWe...@Kodak.com>
Subject Re: Batik for CAD
Date Wed, 14 Sep 2005 10:30:44 GMT
Hi Andreas,

Andreas Neumann wrote:

> I successfully upgraded to the latest version with svn and applied your
> patch. It seems to work with the solitaire example and I can see the
> improvements. Great!

    Thanks,

> Later, I wanted to try to add that attribute to my own examples.
>
> However, with the current Batik developer version I cannot load my
> existing mapping apps, such as
> http://www.carto.net/williams/yosemite/index.svg or
> http://www.carto.net/williams/yosemite/index.svg - it hangs while
> "Dispatching 'onload' ..." - The examples worked with the previous
> versions. There is no error output in the console. Squiggle just hangs ...

     Hmm, this worked fine for me...  I wonder, did you upgrade to
'Tiger' (10.4?).  If so try being _really_ patient and see if it
comes up...

> Do you have an idea what could be wrong here? I guess it's not related
> to the patch but might be a problem with some of the previous
> modifications in the batik developer version.

     Apparently they changed the way drawing to offscreen images works
so that Batik is much slower than it used to be.

> In parallel I will test the new static attribute in a simpler example.
>
> Is it also possible to add this attribute dynamically per script or is
> it just possible to add the attribute in the original svg file with the
> current patch?

    It should be possible to attach/remove the attribute dynamically with
this patch.

    One thing that concerns me, how do you implement panning?
Are you updating the 'viewBox' on an SVG?  If so I suspect that the
static patch is not going to work very well for you, because this
changes the clip on the content which means that the offscreen is
dumped (this might be possible to avoid in the future but doesn't work
right now).  If you add a 'g' as a child of the SVG that wraps all the
content you could set the attribute on that.