From Andreas Neumann <neum...@karto.baug.ethz.ch>
Subject Re: Applet way too slow on MAC
Date Thu, 15 Sep 2005 01:41:25 GMT
This issue is really annoying. I remember that the performance was much
better on Panther using the different color model as described in

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/xmlgraphics-batik-users/200508.mbox/%3c42FA4DA8.3050104@phy.ucsf.edu%3e

Too bad, to discover that it's slow again on Tiger ...

It would really help if the apple engineers could work on that issue.

Andreas

Thomas DeWeese wrote:

> Hi Scott,
>
>> Thomas DeWeese wrote:
>

>>>    I just noticed Apple released a Java 1.3/1.4 update for
>>> Tiger.  Can you check if this fixes the problem?
>>

> Scott A. Ruffner wrote:
>
>> i just installed the Java update on my Powerbook, and it
>> made no difference in performance -- it's still 20x slower
>> than under Panther 10.3.9. :(
>

>    Too bad.
>
>> thomas, is there any chance you'll be able to revise how batik
>> uses BufferedImage/WritableRaster to avoid this performance hit?
>

>    There is essentially no way to fix this in all of Batik.
> Much of Batik is built around the java.awt.image.RenderedImage
> interface.  In this interface an image is composed of tiles which
> are rasters, so you basically can't avoid touching the rasters that
> are used to build BufferedImages for rendering.
>
>    There is some chance that the use of Rasters/RenderedImages
> might be avoided in the 'DynamicRenderer' which would help for
> simple things but I think that you would find that most content
> would 'trip' over the raster access.

Andreas Neumann - Institute of Cartography
ETH Hoenggerberg
CH-8093  Zurich, Switzerland
Phone: ++41-1-633 3031, Fax: ++41-1-633 1153
e-mail: neumann@karto.baug.ethz.ch
www: http://www.carto.net/neumann/
SVG.Open: http://www.svgopen.org/
Carto.net: http://www.carto.net/