From Archie Cobbs <arc...@dellroad.org>
Subject Re: Scaling around a center point...
Date Fri, 16 Dec 2005 22:02:16 GMT
Bishop, Michael W. CONTR J9C880 wrote:
> Well, when you rotate(t, x, y) you are rotating around the center point.
> What it does under the hood (if I understand correctly) is:
>
> Translate the coordinate system to x, y (the center point)
> Rotate (which should rotate around the above-mentioned center point)
> Translate back to the original coordinate system.
>
> I guess I don't see how axes come into play.  I imagine a turntable.  If
> the spindle is always the center point, it doesn't matter the shape of
> the object you're sticking on there, it should rotate around the center.
>
> I'm not even sure how I'd put something in the center of the ellipse;
> that'd be an entirely different element in my understanding.

Maybe "axis" is the wrong term.. I meant axis in the plane, as in
"the long axis" and the "short axis" of the ellipse, not vertical.
Like you'd get if you drew crosshairs over your ellipse.

By putting an "R" in the middle I mean add a <text size="20">R</text>
tag so the "R" appears in your ellipse.. then when you rotate and
stretch the ellipse you can see what happens to the "R"...

-Achie