From Andreas Neumann <neum...@karto.baug.ethz.ch>
Subject Re: Problem with selectionList / remove eventListener
Date Mon, 19 Dec 2005 09:17:38 GMT
Hi Thomas,

thank you very much for the quick fix and the hint to avoid that problem
in older releases! I will have a look at the solitaire example.

I can confirm that my example works now fine in the SVN version.

Thanks again,
Andreas

thomas.deweese@kodak.com wrote:
> Hi Andreas,
>
>     This turned out to be a bug in Batik's event proxies for JavaScript.
> The basic form of the bug is that if you registered for two events on the
> same 'listener' the remove would only ever remove the last registered
> listener.
>
>     The best workaround for this would be to introduce  small 'forwarding'
>
> listeners.  This is what I tend to do in this case and likely the reason
> it
> wasn't noticed earlier.  For an example of this take a look at my
> solitaire
> examples.  In particular util.js has some 'forwarding' function objects
> and the pile.js uses them as members which it registers so that it gets
> it's 'mousemove' function called for mouse moves instead of the
> generic 'handleEvent'.
>
>     This is now fixed in SVN.
>
> Andreas Neumann <neumann@karto.baug.ethz.ch> wrote on 12/18/2005 06:12:39
> AM:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a problem with the following selectionList / ECMAScript Code and
>> removing eventListeners from my document.documentElement.
>>
>> I am refering to the example at:
>> http://www.carto.net/papers/svg/gui/selectionlist/index.svg
>>
>> When one opens a selectionList, I add a "click" and "keypress"  event
>> listener to the document.documentElement in order to allow for open
>> selectionlists to close if the user clicks outside the selectionlist.
>> This works fine in Batik, the selectionlist closes properly when the
>> event was received from the svg-element. However, it seems the event
>> listener is not properly removed from the document.documentElement
>> (which should be done in the file "selectionList.js" in the method
>> ".foldList()"). Maybe I am doing something wrong, but I don't find my
>> mistake. Why aren't the eventListeners properly removed?
>>
>> There is a tar.gz archive of all related files available at
>> http://www.carto.net/papers/svg/gui/selectionlist/selectionList.tar.gz.
>>
>> Any help on this problem is very much appreciated.
>>
>> I tested with the latest svn release and also with batik 1.6 with the
>> same results/problems.
>>
>> Thanks a lot,
>> Andreas

Andreas Neumann - Institute of Cartography
ETH Hoenggerberg
CH-8093  Zurich, Switzerland
Phone: ++41-1-633 3031, Fax: ++41-1-633 1153
e-mail: neumann@karto.baug.ethz.ch
www: http://www.carto.net/neumann/
SVG.Open: http://www.svgopen.org/
Carto.net: http://www.carto.net/