From "Greg Steele" <gste...@apt-cafm.com>
Subject RE: SwingWorker and invokeAndWait
Date Fri, 23 Dec 2005 14:15:01 GMT
Thanks Thomas,
I'm sure you get sick of answering this question.  However, I thought the
construct() method of the SwingWorker class was invoked on a third party
thread, but I'll have to do some more research.

Thanks,
Greg

-----Original Message-----
From: thomas.deweese@kodak.com [mailto:thomas.deweese@kodak.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 22, 2005 6:51 PM
To: batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org
Subject: Re: SwingWorker and invokeAndWait

Hi Greg,

"Greg Steele" <gsteele@apt-cafm.com> wrote on 12/22/2005 05:17:20 PM:

> My app needs to update a database and the canvas for some functions.
I've
> tried code similiar to that below, but I've had the event dispatch
thread
> deadlock.  I thought I'd be safe using invokeAndWait within a
SwingWorker.
> Is this a thread safe operation?

   The operation is thread safe but in the case of SVG in the canvas
DOM modifications it may need to query the canvas so it needs access
to the Swing thread it of course can't get it if you are sitting in
'invokeAndWait' on the Update Manager.

   You will have to move your code into a 3rd party thread.