From thomas.dewe...@kodak.com
Subject Re: freehep and batik
Date Fri, 02 Dec 2005 11:13:17 GMT
Hi Jeremias,

Jeremias Maerki <dev@jeremias-maerki.ch> wrote on 12/01/2005 02:42:35 PM:

> Nice idea, but unfortunately, FreeHEP is licensed under the LGPL which
> currently makes it off-limits for any Apache project. You could,
however,
> publish such a transcoder somewhere else and under the LGPL.

   Is this right?  I was under the impression that one of the key
distinctions between GPL and LGPL is that code depending on LGPL
could be under a separate license from the 'library' code (in this
case freeHEP).   So we certainly couldn't distribute the FreeHEP
jar files but I would have thought that one could include a freeHEP
transcoder under say the 'contrib' tree (which isn't normally built).
With the code in the transcoder under Apache License.

> I've been keeping an eye on FreeHEP for ages now since they've got a
nice
> PostScript interpreter that I'd love to use in FOP. But I can't because
> of the LGPL. Fortunately, this situation may yet change in the near
> future.

   I have no idea about the quality of the code but it certainly looks
interesting from a sheer functionality point of view....