From thomas.dewe...@kodak.com
Subject Re: CMYK from Batik
Date Tue, 24 Jan 2006 10:52:31 GMT
Hi all,

Jeremias Maerki <dev@jeremias-maerki.ch> wrote on 01/24/2006 05:32:44 AM:

> AFAIK, none of the bitmap transcoders support the creation of a CMYK
> bitmap at the moment.

   This is correct, however if you were to check out the code in the
"How to load an SVG resource into a java.awt.Image" thread.  You would
have essentially everything you need to construct get a CMYK BufferedImage
from Batik (you will have to use the 'ColorModel' constructor for the
BufferedImage, use the 'createCompatibleWritableRaster' to get an
appropriate raster).

   The one word of caution I will give is that my experience with
Java2D is that problems start to crop up once you get "off the beaten
path" and rendering to a CMYK image is almost certainly off the beat
path.  Also I'm a little curious why a CMYK JPEG is any better than
an RGB (well YCbCr) unless you have support for specifying CMYK
colors.  Which the above will _not_ give you.

> On 23.01.2006 17:03:39 Patrick Egan wrote:
> > Thanks for your answer Jeremias,
> >
> > Can anyone tell me how to create a CMYK JPEG with the JPEGTranscoder.
> > I believe that this involves the use of  <color-profile> tag with a
> > reference to an .icm file, but an example of both java and suitable
svg
> > source would help greatly.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Patrick
> >
> > Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> >
> > >FRF = Frequently requested feature :-)
> > >
> > >No, the PDF output currently doesn't support CMYK. Only for CMYK
JPEGs
> > >with an ICC profile the CMYK information can be preserved, but that's
> > >not what you're asking for. Furthermore, SVG is not really oriented
> > >towards CMYK. I can't talk for Batik, only for FOP (Batik uses FOP
code
> > >for PDF output), but we currently can't specify colors with an ICC
> > >profile which is the only possible route to work with CMYK colors.
And
> > >it may even be non-standard as far as I know.
> > >
> > >Given the amount of feature requests in the past I would have thought
> > >that someone finally sits down and starts implementing support for
CMYK.
> > >But I guess we'll have to wait a little longer for that.

CMYK
CMYK