From "Paul Carr" <Paul.C...@express-gifts.co.uk>
Subject RE: Bug ( I think)
Date Tue, 07 Feb 2006 13:56:55 GMT
Hi All,
Has anyone got an example portrait A4 SVG file that will print to all
extremities of the page from squiggle ?

I've tried changing all my values to mm, specifying pt for fonts instead
of px, and using a viewBox, and I still cannot get it to print up to the
right edge of the paper.

-----Original Message-----
From: thomas.deweese@kodak.com [mailto:thomas.deweese@kodak.com]
Sent: 07 February 2006 11:04
To: batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org
Subject: Re: Bug ( I think)

Hi Paul,

"Paul Carr" <Paul.Carr@express-gifts.co.uk> wrote on 02/07/2006 05:55:35

AM:

> I'm fairly certain Batik scales A4 images down slightly meaning that
the

> resulting printout is
> incorrect. I'm working on a project where we need to print to various
paper
> sizes accurately( i.e. to stick a persons name into a box on a pre
printed
> Certificate) I was determined to use SVG, but this issue is stopping
me
from
> proceeding.

   The main problem is that Inkscape doesn't include a viewBox on it's
documents.  This means that it is subject to each viewer having the same
pixel->mm conversion factor (which they don't).  I think all you need to
do is figure out what mapping Inkscape uses and provide an appropriate
viewBox.  Batik will then fit this viewBox to the width/height of the
SVG
(and printed page).

> To reproduce :
> (1)use inkscape to create an A4 portrait image with a 48pt "X" in each

corner
> of the page.
> (2)save
> (3)open file in squiggle (the top right "X" has already moved to the
left)
> (4)print file to A4 with zero margins
>
> results:-
> the "X" at the top left is correctly positioned
> the "X"'s at the bottom have moved up slightly
> the "X" at the top right has moved left slightly
>
> You can actually notice the problem in squiggle before it even comes
> printing it...the top right "X" is visibly further left.
>
> I also took the latest SVN, same problem, This is very urgent for me,
I'd love
> to use batik in this new project and have a couple of days left to
give
my
> technical recommendations....  If anyones seen this before or knows
where I'm
> going wrong please let me know.
>

> Best Regards
> Paul.
>
> (P.S)  I've attached a standalone java app to reproduce and the SVG
file
I used.
>  [attachment "scalingProblem.svg" deleted by Thomas E.
DeWeese/449433/EKC]
> [attachment "SVGApplication.java" deleted by Thomas E.
DeWeese/449433/EKC]