Well I have a design in place…I have a set of actions that describe how things are to be done.  The “create element” action is the only one where the entire element is sent.  There are optional attributes for the action; a “parentId” that describes which element the new element is to be appended to (root element, g element, etc.) and a “beforeId” that can specifically describe which element the new element will be inserted before (Node.insertBefore(…)).  Moves, updates and deletions work like you describe.  You find the element by its ID and apply modifications.

To send the outgoing message, I use XMLBeans to transform the Element to an XmlObject which can be represented as a String.  Now I need to do the reverse, but I don’t think XMLBeans can do it, so I need to find another way.  I’d hate to use a SAXParser to parse the element into a new document, then do a copy from one document to another.  I’d rather import it directly into the client document.

Maybe another approach would be the “create element” message has a different structure?

-          Tag name.

-          Namespace.

-          Collection of attributes.

-          (Optional) parentId.

-          (Optional) beforeId.

I posted here because I thought maybe someone had done something like this before; most of the stuff I’ve undertaken for this project has been a learning experience.  I haven’t done anything similar to this previously.

Michael Bishop