From "Ted Young" <tyo...@ncoastsoft.com>
Subject More Info: Card Printing and Mag Stripe Encoding
Date Wed, 14 Jun 2006 20:35:04 GMT
Well, through some more investigation and trial-and-error, I have found that
by using gradients anywhere on my document, all text in my document IS being
rasterized before going to the printer.  By taking the gradients out, once
can notice substantially clearer text.  Text that overlaps images is also
rasterized.

I am assuming, at this point, that this rasterization is occurring at the
whim of the Graphics object.  I will pursue that possibility next.

Ted

  _____

From: Ted Young [mailto:tyoung@ncoastsoft.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 14, 2006 2:59 PM
To: batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org
Subject: Card Printing and Mag Stripe Encoding

Good day to everyone,

I am using Batik to dynamically generate ID cards (XML + XSL = SVG ->
Batik/Printer).  The whole thing works great.  The only problem I am running
into is that I need to transmit a string of text to the printer to be
encoded on the mag stripe.

I am using Fargo's DTC 550 LC printer.  When it encounters a string of text
like ~1%123? It will, instead of printing that string, encode 123 on track 1
of the mag stripe.  I can open up Word, for example, and print this string,
along with any other text and graphics, and the printer will detect it and
forward it to the mag stripe.

However, when I include this string in my SVG, the printer just prints it to
the card.  I am pretty confident that the text on the card is being sent to
the printer as text (not as glyphs or raster) since the printer will print
black TrueType data in pure black (allowing for things like barcodes).  And,
it appears that this is working just fine.

My suspicion is that the text string ~1%123? Which I embed in a <text
.></text> tag is being broken up with formatting/layout information, but
this is just a guess.

First, here is how I am printing the SVG documents:

PrintTranscoder transcoder = new PrintTranscoder();

transcoder.transcode(new TranscoderInput(svg.front), null);

transcoder.transcode(new TranscoderInput(svg.back), null);

String title = ((SVGOMDocument)svg.front).getTitle();

HashPrintRequestAttributeSet settings = new HashPrintRequestAttributeSet();

settings.add(OrientationRequested.PORTRAIT);

settings.add(new JobName(title, null));

settings.add(new MediaPrintableArea(0f, 0f, 2.125f, 3.375f,
MediaSize.INCH));

DocPrintJob printJob = Configuration.printer.createPrintJob();

SimpleDoc doc = new SimpleDoc(transcoder,
DocFlavor.SERVICE_FORMATTED.PRINTABLE, null);

printJob.print(doc, settings);

Thanks for your patience.  Here is where it gets a little more interesting.
I decided to verify that it isn't something with the Java print service or
the driver, so I tried:

Printable p = new Printable() {

            public int print(Graphics graphics, PageFormat pageFormat, int
pageIndex) throws PrinterException {

                        if (pageIndex == 0) {

                                    graphics.drawString("~1%123?", 10, 10);

                                    return Printable.PAGE_EXISTS;

                        } else {

                                    Return Printable.NO_SUCH_PAGE;

                        }

            }

};

This works!  The data is sent to the mag encoder.  So, I went one step
further:

Printable p = new Printable() {

            public int print(Graphics graphics, PageFormat pageFormat, int
pageIndex) throws PrinterException {

                        if (pageIndex == 0) {

                                    graphics.drawString("~1%123?", 10, 10);

                        return transcoder.print(graphics, pageFormat,
pageIndex);

            }

};

Now we are back to the same problem.  The text appears on the card.

Would anyone know why this happens, and/or how to work around it.

Thank you,

Ted Young