From Andreas Neumann <neum...@karto.baug.ethz.ch>
Subject Re: Question about stroke-dashing
Date Mon, 12 Jun 2006 09:54:25 GMT
Thank you for your additional input. I will take it into account when
rewriting this section. I will send you a revised version for review.

The vector effects is a good example where the directionality matters.

Thanks again,
Andreas

>   This is a little like asking, why do we use positive numbers instead
>of negative numbers.  If you just negate everything it works, right?
>
>   From a mathematical point of view I think it is very odd to specify
>your basic shapes such that they have negative area.  This also means
>that the winding count for the interior of the basic shapes is negative
>rather than positive.
>
>   If the whole world buys into this system then there are probably no
>problems but when you consider things like vector effects where basic
>shapes can now be used/combined with other shapes I think you are
>likely to generate confusion among users.  Like for boolean operations
>if you intersected a primitive rect with another 'properly defined'
>shape you would likely end up with the portion of the shape outside
>of the rect (it might be possible so force implementations to
>'normalize' shapes according to winding rule before boolean
>operations).
>
>    This also could lead to missing or extra holes when paths are
>combined because folks are likely to be surprised that the primitive
>shapes decrement winding count rather than increment.
>
>   In the end I suspect it will be viewed as short sighted to go
>"against the math" just because people would rather have shapes
>go clockwise.

Andreas Neumann
Institute of Cartography
ETH Zurich
Wolfgang-Paulistrasse 15
CH-8093  Zurich, Switzerland

Phone: ++41-44-633 3031, Fax: ++41-44-633 1153
e-mail: neumann@karto.baug.ethz.ch
www: http://www.carto.net/neumann/
SVG.Open: http://www.svgopen.org/
Carto.net: http://www.carto.net/