From "Bishop, Michael W. CONTR J9C880" <Michael.Bis...@je.jfcom.mil>
Subject RE: Extracting information from a transformation matrix
Date Mon, 05 Jun 2006 17:49:19 GMT
Well I'm trying to integrate this side-by-side with what's already
there.  So when I print out the attributes, I print out the "transform"
attribute and I print out the dummy "matrix" attribute
(matrix="matrix(a, b, c, d, e, f)".

The problem is that if I translate, things are fine.  If I scale, things
are fine.  If I scale, then translate, the "matrix" numbers don't match
the "transform".  In order to get them to match up, I've been "undoing"
everything:

(For translation)

transform.scale(1.0d / sx, 1.0d / sy);
transform.translate(tx, ty);
transform.scale(sx, sy);

In order to make the numbers "match", I have to do all my translations
"first" before scaling.  This kind of makes sense; when I use the
transform attribute, I always start from scratch: translate(tx, ty)
scale(sx, sy) rotate(t).

I see the "preConcatenate" method here in the JDK, so let's go back to
my use case.  I want to be able to translate, rotate, and scale in any
order.  The user could draw an element, scale it by 150%, rotate it 60
degrees, drag it to the left, scale down to 50%, etc.

I'm not sure how preconcatenating will help because I don't know when to
do it and when not to.  I need to preconcatenate before any scaling
operations I think.  Rotate just makes it even tougher.

Michael Bishop