From thomas.dewe...@kodak.com
Subject Re: GIF Transcoding and Transcoding Hints.
Date Fri, 16 Jun 2006 10:03:13 GMT
Hi Alps,

Alps <alpesh.parmar@c-sam.co.in> wrote on 06/16/2006 05:06:44 AM:

> I am using Batik for following purpose:
> 1. Transcoding to different possible formats like JPEG/PNG with Affine
> transformation.

> Is there some way to transcode existing SVG image to GIF format ?

    We don't provide one, if you have access to a library that saves
GIF from a Java2D BufferedImage it shouldn't be too hard to add (take
a look at the PNGImageTranscoder - which supports 8bit output).

> Also in Java 2D graphics, i found several rendering hints used during
> image format transformation like Rendering quality, color quality,
> anti aliasing, dithering, Interpolation for scaling algorithms. I
> relate the transcoding to image rendering but found such hints missing
> for a configurable transcoding. Can we specify such hints specially
> like interpolation, quality, size using Batik core modules or some
> other way.

   All of these Java 2D rendering hints are set/controlled by the
SVG rendering hint attributes:

    http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/painting.html#RenderingProperties

   You can add/modify these attributes in the SVG document (probably
on the root element) before giving the Document to the Batik transcoder.